Friday, February 24, 2012

WE MUST HAVE LOVE

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. {2} And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. {3} And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

I usually make a practice after I preach of telling my congregation that I love and appreciate them.  These are not empty words, I really do love and appreciate them and I have loved and appreciated every congregation God has allowed me to minister to.  After I said that one morning a church member told me, "You are the only pastor we ever had that told us he loved us."

I was not only surprised, I was shocked.  The ability and the willingness to love people has been one of the greatest gifts that God has given me in the ministry. 

I have lacked many things in my ministry.  I haven't had the greatest education and this can hinder the ministry.  My speaking ability is a little rough around the edges and to be honest there are a lot of mysteries that I don't understand well enough to explain them to others.  I have only a little faith (I do have it in a Great God though).  So far I haven't bestowed all my goods to feed the poor and I am certainly not in any big hurry to be burned.

Having said all that, the one thing I do have and it has carried me through my entire ministry is a heart full of love for God's people. When I can do nothing else, I can love.  Why should this be so hard?

I am saved because God loved me in spite of everything and I think he has commanded us, "Now you go and share this love with a world who needs it."

Please feel free to contact me by email at

shilohkosciusko@gmail.com with questions, comments or even suggestions for further devotional studies.

If you know of someone new to the Kosciusko area and would like for our church to visit them please let us know.  Our prayers are that this devotional ministry will be an outreach to bring people into a closer relationship with Jesus.  I do appreciate you taking the time to read these devotionals and please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.