Monday, August 30, 2010

THE 23rd PSALM 1

Psalms 23:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

David could speak from his own experience about how a shepherd cared for his sheep. It was the shepherds job to see that the sheep were protected, fed, watered and otherwise cared for. David used this comparison to give an illustration of God's care for us.

He provides all that we need. He feeds us. He nourishes us and He protects us from those who would prey upon us.

Over the past years I could not tell you how many times I have read this verse and studied it. I am not even sure how many times I have preached from it or used it at funerals. There is great comfort here but I have seen something that I did not once see there.

In the verse it says "I shall not want." So many people today never learn to be satisfied. They continuously want something thinking that if they were to get that something then they would finally find happiness. I can honestly say that God has always supplied my needs. I have never hungered or thirsted or been destitute in any way. The times that I have found myself miserable were the times that I failed to be thankful for the things I already have.

If I really want to let God lead me as my Shepherd then I need to grasp the concept of thankfulness and remember "I shall not want."

Please feel free to contact me by email at

shilohkosciusko@gmail.com with questions, comments or even suggestions for further devotional studies.


If you know of someone new to the Kosciusko area and would like for our church to visit them please let us know. Our prayers are that this devotional ministry will be an outreach to bring people into a closer relationship with Jesus. I do appreciate you taking the time to read these devotionals and please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.