Wednesday, March 4, 2009

TO REMAIN GREAT

Tit 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain GOOD WORKS. These things are good and profitable unto men.

In the 1830's Alexis de Tocqueville toured America. When his tour had been completed, he made this observation (and I paraphrase): " I have toured America, and I have seen most of what you offer. I've seen the richness of the fields and the wealth of your mines. I've seen your industrial might, the beauties of the rivers, the streams, the lakes, and the grandeur of the mountains. I've noticed the abundance of the forests and the marvelous climate with which you are blessed. In none of these things did I see the cause for the greatness of America. It wasn't until I went into your churches that I saw the reason for America's greatness. America is great because America is good; and as long as America is good, America will be great. If it ever ceases to be good, it will cease to be great." (Copied)
How can an nation who has expelled God from the classrooms and other areas of public life call themselves good? How can a nation who will not even protect the unborn child call themselves good? Can we look at the controversy over marriage and family and say that we are good people?
Yet, there is a remnant. There are those who believe that God is the head of government. There are many who believe in the sanctity of life even for the unborn. Multitudes believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman and that some lifestyles are sinful and against God's word. If we are cowed into silence and say nothing even though we know a thing is wrong, is that a good work?
Can America remain great, or have we gone too far?

1 comment:

  1. We can remain great. For where 2 or more are gathered in my name....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment.