Saturday, March 21, 2009

STOP

STOP
Ps 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Do you ever find yourself trying to keep up with your daily activities and you get in a hurry only to find that you are getting further behind. It seems that many times we are like someone said of a man, "He jumped on his horse and road off in all directions."
It seems that there is always someone who is trying to claim a piece of our time and we never seem to get caught up. The question we need to ask ourselves someitmes is who are we really trying to please? Why are we in such a rush.
There was a time in my ministry when I seemed to be always running and always behind. The things I was really trying to get done were obviously not as important to the survival of the world as I thought they were because I spent the next week in the hospital with a heart attack and the world kept right on going.
For four days I was in intensive care. It didn't have a TV, I could only have visitors for a few minutes each day. I asked them for a Bible and they told me that I couldn't have one. They just wanted me to lie still and try to get strong enough to move to another hospital. All I could do was lay in that room and think and pray. God spoke to me while I was there, not audibly, but it was plain enough. For four days the first part of this scripture kept going through my mind, "Be still, and know that I am God."
Sometimes now I get in a hurrry, I start trying to please everyone around me and I have a problem saying no to people who want me to do something. Every once in awhile I have to remind myself of what God was telling me in that intensive care unit. There are times when all he wants from us is for us to STOP. He wants us to be still, and know that He is God.
Do you need to stop for a little while?

3 comments:

  1. I try to take Sunday to catch up so I can slow down or Saturday so I can stop on Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that will get your attention.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment.