Friday, October 24, 2008

CONTENTMENT

1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

We certainly can not always determine our circumstances. We have good times and we sometimes go through bad times. The old saying is true that "Bad things sometimes happen to good people."
It seems that since we don't have absolute control over our circumstances that we might as well give in to them sometimes. The apostle Paul found himself in some pretty harsh situations. He was stoned, he was imprisoned, he was nearly beaten to death. These things seemed to happen quite often to Paul yet he said that no matter what state or situation he found himself in he had learned to be content.
Joseph was sold into slavery and then cast into prison. In each situation he just did the best he could and tried to always be faithful and do the right thing.
Sometimes it is not our circumstances but our attitude toward them that cause us to not to be content. I can't help my physical problems. I can't help my financial situation much. I certainly can't do anything about the behavior of others around me and I quit trying to solve the problems of the world a long time ago. There is only one thing that I have control over and that is me and how I react to things.
I have learned that trying to serve God and being content with my circumstances is certainly great gain. Maybe I am where God can use me the most.
Leave us a comment

1 comment:

  1. So true even though it's not always easy.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment.