Monday, February 9, 2009

GREAT INVESTMENTS

Joel 1:3 Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation.
One of the greatest joys I have known in my life is teaching. I am not talking about standing before a class and giving a lecture, actually I'm probably not very good at that. I am talking about taking someone who is eager to learn about something I know and teaching them everything I can.
I think many older people miss a lot by not sharing their knowledge with those younger or less experienced. It can come as a kind of shock. I was at a pastor's retreat once and was sitting at a table with a lot of young preachers. I really just thought we were fellowshiping and carrying on a conversation when one of them said, "I hope you know how much we appreciate you older preachers taking time to share your experience with us." It was then that I realized two things. The first was that I was now one of the older preachers. The second was that the young are eager for someone to take an interest in them and help them along.
It doesn't have to be ministry related. If you have a skill or a talent you can share your knowledge and experience and it will mean a lot to someone. Teaching a child to fish is a great experience for both the teacher and the pupil. It opens the doors to share your spiritual experiences.
My grandson has been watching me do some drawing and illustrating and he borrows my pads, pencils and art books. (He can go through a $4 sketch pad in about an hour. I have started letting him use copy paper most of the time.) It thrills me that he is interested and I bought him a beginners book on drawing. Having something that we share an interest in is wonderful and it will give us time together to share spiritual things as well.
Find someone and share your knowledge with them. It is one of the best investments you will ever make.
Just a note to thank everyone for your prayers. I am doing well and hope to be back on a regular posting schedule on Thursday Feb. 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.