Wednesday, December 3, 2008

BE YE FILLED

Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might BE FILLED with all the fulness of God.
As I was looking for a subject for today's devotional I ran across the following in my files:

VACUUM OR VICTORY A man who drank heavily was converted to Christ and lived victoriously for several weeks. One day as he passed the open door of a tavern, the pungent odor drifting out aroused his old appetite for liquor. Just then he saw this sign in the window of a nearby cafe: "All the buttermilk you can drink--25 cents!" Dashing inside, he ordered one glass, then another, and still another. After finishing the third he walked past the saloon and was no longer tempted. He was so full of buttermilk that he had no room for that which would be injurious to him. The lesson is clear: to be victorious over our evil desires, we must leave no opportunity for them to repossess us. Dwight L. Moody once demonstrated the principle like this: "Tell me," he said to his audience, "how can I get the air out of the tumbler I have in my hand?" One man said, "Suck it out with a pump." But the evangelist replied, "That would create a vacuum and shatter it." Finally after many suggestions, moody picked up a pitcher and quietly filled the glass with water. "There," he said, "all the air is now removed." He then explained that victory for the child of God does not come by working hard to eliminate sinful habits, but rather by allowing the Holy Spirit to take full possession.

Normally when I use something of someone else's I try to give them credit but I am not sure where I got this from but it does make a good point.

WE we become filled with the fullness of God there is no room for sin and the world. The way we become filled with the fullness of God is to know the love of Christ. Since the love of Christ is so great that it surpasses our human knowledge, we must by faith believe that the love of Christ is so amazing that we must allow it to consume us. I honestly do not know the secret to doing that. I do know that when I think about how much Jesus loves us it sure makes all the other things in my life seem less important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.