Monday, September 15, 2008

WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS

Matthew 11:27-30 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. (28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. (30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
We often see signs telling us that there is a bridge ahead that can not handle extremely heavy weights. When I see one of these I sometimes think that I can relate to that. Sometimes it seems that the weight of the world is on me and I just can't support the load. I then remember Jesus giving this invitation to bring all our burdens to Him and he will give us rest.
In a previous devotional about rest I mentioned that we should take time to rest and rejuvenate ourselves. We can't do that if we hang on to our burdens.
I remember a story about an man walking down the road with a heavy bundle over his shoulder. A wagon came along and gave him a ride but instead of putting his bundle in the wagon he kept it in his lap. The driver of the wagon noticed this and said, "Why don't you just lay your bundle and the wagon and you wouldn't have to keep carrying it."
The passenger then replied, "Oh no, I appreciate the ride but I couldn't ask you to carry my burden too."
That may sound a little silly but we sometimes do that in our relationship with Jesus. We are willing to trust Him with our very souls but we don't seem to want to trouble Him with our everyday burdens.
Another person once said, "Many people carry their burdens to the cross and then pick them right back up and hang on to them."
Whatever your burdens may be you can be sure that there is nothing that Jesus can't help you handle. It might be sin in your life, it might be frustration, it might be worries but I can promise you that Jesus can handle anything you trust Him with. Let Him help you carry it and He will give you rest.
Unlike the bridge, Jesus doesn't have any weight restrictions.

2 comments:

  1. I talked my tech person into letting me open this site...I really do enjoy leaving comments and reading other comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bl has left the building. that was too purdy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment.