Friday, September 12, 2008

REST AREA

Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
We live in a fast paced world. Businesses operate 7days a week and 24 hours a day. That means their employees are on the same schedule. Even when people have days off they fill them with activities and try to crowd as much into them as they can. Vacations are often hectic and I have even heard people say that they would be glad to go back to work so that they could get some rest.
I remember when I was young on Sundays at my grandparents house we seemed to always have company. After church and after lunch everyone would gather under the big Blackjack Oaks and just sit and talk. The children would play and the adults would just sit and relax and talk. The most energy I remember seeing any of them exert was to sit and whittle on a stick. They all knew how to relax and enjoy a Sunday.
Relaxing and resting is not laziness. I am not talking about being a couch potato sitting in front of the TV or computer. I am talking about just sitting and and enjoying the people around you, or sitting on your porch or in your yard and enjoying God's wonderful creation. Clear your mind and meditate on the blessings of God.
Early in my ministry I was having some physical problems and the Dr. said part of the problem was that my mind and my body were never in the same place. He explained, "When you are in your study your mind is on visiting the hospital, when you are visiting the hospital your mind is on spending time with your family, when you are with your family you think you should be studying. No wonder you are tired, you spend all your time traveling in two directions, your mind in one and your body in the other." The amazing thing was that He was exactly right.
Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Personally I do not believe God rested because He was tired. I believe after He finished His creation that He wanted to just enjoy what He had done. I think it is a good idea for us to sometimes just rest and enjoy what God has done for us.

3 comments:

  1. Getting my mind and body in place at the same time, whew! Glad God grants miracles everyday! Makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kinda reminds me of a saturday in yazoo city. Shop a little and enjoy a meal with family and nothing else matters except to be glad. Wish I'd leaned my chair back on two legs now and melded my fingers behind by head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. my mind and body are usually headed for the same place...it just takes my body a few minutes to catch up.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment.