Wednesday, January 9, 2013

WAKE UP AND WATCH 3

I Thessalonians 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. A young private was on guard duty one night and he had leaned against a tree and had dropped his head and dozed off.  When the company commander came to check his guard post he woke suddenly and saw the feet of the officer just in front of him.  The quick thinking private then said, "Amen" out loud and raised his head.
 
That young private kind of reminds me of many Christians today.  We say we are watching and praying while we are really asleep.  Now is a good time to examine your prayer life. 
 
Almost every day I see people on Facebook requesting prayer and many people comment promising to pray.  When I say I will pray for someone I stop what I am doing right then and talk to the Lord about the prayer request.  I wonder how many people substitute the comment for actually praying.
 
Over the years while pastoring I have had people become upset over someones name not being in the bulletin on the prayer list.  The prayer list in your church bulletin is not magic.  If people aren't really praying for the person it means nothing and if our prayer list becomes too long I am afraid that it begins to mean less to us.
 
Don't sleep on duty.  Watch and pray.
 
Please feel free to contact me by email at
 
shilohkosciusko@gmail.com with questions, comments or even suggestions for further devotional studies.

If you know of someone new to the Kosciusko area and would like for our church to visit them please let us know.  Our prayers are that this devotional ministry will be an outreach to bring people into a closer relationship with Jesus.  I do appreciate you taking the time to read these devotionals and please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.