Wednesday, August 24, 2011

GROWING UP

1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I [spake as a child], I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Childishness is marked by a desire to play. Many people are playing at life. They play at making a home, they play at being married and some even play at church. When we play at these things we only want the parts that are fun and benefit us. We don't want to make a commitment or make any sacrifices.

Childishness is marked by selfishness. Selfishness is about self, it is about what I want. If I don't get what I want I will not be pleasant to be around. Sadly we have developed several generations of people who think they are entitled. I really think we have developed the greatest crop of cry babies in the history of the world. When we start realizing that we are responsible for our actions and we are also responsible to and for others it is a mark of maturity.

Childishness is characterized by self pity. They like him better than me. No one likes me. No one wants to play with me. These are childish remarks but if we examine ourselves we might just find that there are times that we begin to have our own little pity party. We can overcome this by trying to be the very best person we can be.

Childishness is failure to recognize obligation and responsibility. Remember, we are obligated to our church family and we are responsible for the ministry that the Lord left for us. As we mature we are more than happy to take on this responsibility.

Childishness is also a lack of gratitude. Children seldom say thank you for their food and clothes and the hard work their parents do to provide for them. Aren't we too childish when we fail to be thankful to God for His love and provision?

I think it is a great time to put away childish things and grow up.

Please feel free to contact me by email at

shilohkosciusko@gmail.com with questions, comments or even suggestions for further devotional studies.


If you know of someone new to the Kosciusko area and would like for our church to visit them please let us know. Our prayers are that this devotional ministry will be an outreach to bring people into a closer relationship with Jesus. I do appreciate you taking the time to read these devotionals and please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.