Friday, August 28, 2009

WHAT WE MUST HAVE 5

WE MUST HAVE LOVE
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. {2} And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. {3} And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
I usually make a practice after I preach of telling my congregation that I love and appreciate them. These are not empty words, I really do love and appreciate them and I have loved and appreciated every congregation God has allowed me to minister to. After I said that one morning a church member told me, "You are the only pastor we ever had that told us he loved us."
I was not only surprised, I was shocked. The ability and the willingness to love people has been one of the greatest gifts that God has given me in the ministry.
I have lacked many things in my ministry. I haven't had the greatest education and this can hinder the minstry. My speaking ability is a little rough around the edges and to be honest there are a lot of mysteries that I don't understand well enough to explain them to others. I have only a little faith (I do have it in a Great God though). So far I haven't bestowed all my goods to feed the poor and I am certainly not in any big hurry to be burned.
Having said all that, the one thing I do have and it has carried me through my entire ministry is a heart full of love for God's people. When I can do nothing else, I can love. Why should this be so hard?I am saved because God loved me in spite of everything and I think he has commmanded us, "Now you go and share this love with a world who needs it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.