Monday, July 28, 2008

THEY WANT ECHOES

Eze 12:2 Son of man, thou dwellest in the midst of a rebellious house, which have eyes to see, and see not; they have EARS TO HEAR, and hear not: for they are a rebellious house.
I read an illustration about a golf instructor trying to teach a man to play better golf. Everytime the golf pro would suggest something the student would explain why he did it the way he did. He never took any of the golf pro's advice. The golf pro took his money at the end of the session and he left a very satisfied person. An observer mentioned to the pro, "He didn't learn a thing. Every time you tried to tell him something he would still wind up doing things his own way." The golf pro just smiled and shook his head, "I learned a long time ago that you don't try to sell answers to a person who just wants echoes."
In the ministry I have found that to be true. People will go to the pastor with a problem in their life and too often instead of wanting an answer they just want him to condone what they are doing. When he does give them a scriptural answer often they will leave angry or frustrated, especially if they have sin in their life that they don't want to give up. They often want someone to give a stamp of approval to behavior that is destructive to them. They don't really want answers. They want echoes. I used to ask my brother about something and his answer was often, "Do you really want the truth or do you want me to make you happy?" I didn't need to pursue the question any further. I had my answer. Sometimes you just can't do both.

If you have a comment you can click on the comments below. I have made it easier to leave a comment.

E-mail us at shilohkosciusko@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I have made it easier to post comments on the page. Please feel free to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is easy....I love your stories and have tried this before but couldn't figure out how to post anything!!! Joy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment.