Tuesday, July 29, 2008

MIRRORS AND WINDOWS

James 1:23-24 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (24) For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

Sometimes I am surprised when I look in the mirror. For the last few years I have been a little disturbed each day when I go in to shave and look into the mirror and see my dad staring back back at me. My mind still tricks me into thinking of myself as looking like I did when I was a young man but the reflection in the mirror does not lie.

Sometimes we need to take a good look into the mirror of the Bible which also shows us what we really are instead of what our minds trick us into thinking we are. The mirror can be a great tool to help us improve ourselves. We look in the mirror and see the smudge on our face that needs to be removed, the hair that is standing up in a spot that needs to be tamed, the spot we missed shaving and many other imperfections that we need to fix. The Bible works the same way. It reveals our shortcomings so that we can work on them a little at a time. The mirror is an important tool but so is the window. If we were inside and all we had were mirrors we would only be able to see ourselves. Windows help us to look out and realize that we are not the primary focus. There are usually a lot more windows in a home than there are mirrors.
We can look out at God's creation and it should cause us to think of him. As we improve our own lives we can look through windows and see that there is a world out there filled with people who need us, people we can help. As we use the mirror to help improve our own lives we can use the window to see the world that we are to share that improvement with.
Click on the comments below and leave a comment or question.
Send us an e-mail at shilohkosciusko@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I have learned in life that no matter how bad things seem, if you look around, you can always find someone that has bigger problems than you. Knowing this makes being thankful even in "bad" situations easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better than Joy. I soooo agree with that. The only problem I have in my life right now is trying to figure out what I want to be when i grow up. I think I should just count my blessings and let God tell me what I want to be and look around and pray for the others that have way more problems than me!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment.