Wednesday, July 23, 2008

HOME IS WHERE YOUR GOODS ARE

I have heard a lot of people describe home. I think the best is probably the old saying, "Home is where the heart is." "Home is where you hang your hat," is another that I have heard quiet often. The idea there is that the person can make themselves at home wherever they happen to be. One of my friends always tells everyone to "Make yourself at home, if you can't do that here you should have stayed where you could." I just read a story by Patrick McManus, one of my favorite writers and one of the funniest authors I have ever read. The story was entitled "Home Is Where Your Stuff Is." I read the story and it made a lot of sense about how we feel about our earthly home. When we are away we miss our stuff. We miss that comfortable recliner and sleep better in our familiar bed. We know where to find the things we need or want and all we have to do is just get up and get them. We don't have to wait until someone offers them to us or we have to humble ourself to ask for them. We like to be near our stuff. People used to refer to their belonging as "goods". Even the Bible refers to worldly possessions as goods.
Lu 12:18-19 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. (19) And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
In all truth our worldly goods, stuff if you prefer really doesn't mean much. Out of all the stuff there is not much that we could really call treasure. Jesus said:
Matthew 6:19-20 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: (20) But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
If we are motivated out of love for Jesus, the things we do will be treasures that are laid up in heaven. Wouldn't we look forward so much more to going to our eternal home if we were laying up treasures there? Don't get feel too at home where your goods are. Make your home where your real treasures are and just keep laying them up.

1 comment:

Please leave us a comment.