Monday, March 29, 2010

FAILING TO ACHIEVE VICTORY 2

PEOPLE FAIL BECAUSE THEY ARE FORGETFUL HEARERS

James 1:24-25 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. (25)But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth , he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Often people believe that they do God is not speaking because they do not hear Him. This could not be further from the truth. We do not hear Him because we are not listening to Him and listening for Him.

A young man I have known since he was about 12 years old sent me an email asking if I would read some material he had written and give him my opinion. I love to encourage people and I agreed to read his writing. I was amazed at the quality of the writing he sent to me. He loves to hunt and he loves the outdoors and he wrote several articles about communing with God in nature. I sat glued to his manuscripts and marveled at his writing skills. He actually made me feel that I was right there with Him. I was even more amazed at his deep spiritual relationship with God. I knew he was a Christian but I had never known the depths of his relationship until I read his writings.
The thought that I had was, "Here is a young man that knows how to listen to God."

I could not help but compare him to many who come into church on Sunday and never feel the presence of God or hear His voice. One thing I know is that a poor listener very seldom hears a good sermon. A good listener will get something from even a pitiful delivery of a sermon.

I usually give people an example of Fact and Faith on church services. I tell them, "That you are sitting here in this church is fact. That I am standing before you to preach is faith, but it is only faith that makes me believe that anyone is listening to the sermons.

You will fail to have victory in your daily life if you fail to listen for God's message to you. It may come in the form of a sermon or a book. It may even come in one of these or an other's devotionals. It my come to you in a still small voice as you enjoy the outdoors, but you must listen, and after hearing you must not forget.

Live victoriously by listening and taking heed to God.

Please feel free to contact me by email at

shilohkosciusko@gmail.com with questions, comments or even suggestions for further devotional studies.


If you know of someone new to the Kosciusko area and would like for our church to visit them please let us know. Our prayers are that this devotional ministry will be an outreach to bring people into a closer relationship with Jesus. I do appreciate you taking the time to read these devotionals and please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment.